In May I got in touch with a guy on Electronic Bay who was selling an RX7 engine. It had some overheating problems and was being sold as spares but it didn’t carry the ridiculous price tag of nearly anything else with ‘13B’ written on it.

I met a nice fella from Kent who was putting a Toyota 2JZ engine into his RX7. One evening after work I took a trip down there in the Legacy to pick up the engine.  I helped him shove the bare shell of the legendary road car out of the way before we manhandled the 13B into the back of my estate.

 We agreed on £60 for the engine which came with everything except the coilpacks, engine loom and ECU. I couldn’t argue with this price as I’d spent  more in petrol getting there.

On my fifth coffee and starting to flag, thinking about the potential nightmares in front of me, but knew it was all for the greater good.

Upon getting it into the workshop I embarked upon a full teardown of this ridiculous engine. Surrounding the intake manifold was a rat’s nest of fuel and vacuum pipework. Nearly everything was manually actuated with pressure valves opening vacuum airways that allowed other stuff to happen.


 

 

Fuel pressure regulators, PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) and oil metering injectors all ran from vacuum solenoids and weren’t electronically actuated like most modern engines that have these features. But removing or dealing with these was a nightmare for the future.

Some of the old plastic connectors had seen better days and were brittle.

 

 

After the waterpump came off, the two injector rails came out along with the maze of fuel lines and vac lines. Eventually after some coaxing, the inlet manifold came off, showing the primary and secondary intake runners.

 

 

 

After a while I had a pretty big box of engine ancillaries going on.

 

 

ABOVE: That JDM filler cap has to be worth at least £75.

Then I came up against the first major hurdle so far. It’s well documented (I learned retrospectively) that the 54mm nut on the back of the crank/flywheel is an absolute bastard. Nothing prepared us for this though. The first warning sign came when it positively laughed at our Snap-On impact gun. That thing tears rusted up rear subframe bolts out with little drama and even with a fully charged battery there was no sign of it even entertaining the thought of coming off.

 

ABOVE: By this point I was too mad to take photos so I've nicked this one off another website for reference.

After that there was a series of long extension bars including our metre long breaker bar with a huge 6ft pipe preventing the flywheel from turning, but with bulging veins and red faces we had to admit defeat on this one for the time being.


It was back to the drawing board for now.


Previous Next >